Herbal Search

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!


Today I turned 27! To celebrate, Loba, Rhiannon and our intern, Kyra, climbed the arroyo to seek out the (hopefully) ripe Gooseberries. Much to our delight, about thirty percent of the Gooseberries were indeed ripe. So into the brambles we went to gather the tart black berries, between the four of us we managed to gather a couple pints. In the process, we also managed to get plenty scratched up and very hungry.

We wandered a bit further up the wash to find a shady spot to eat our wild salmon & egg salad, blueberry pudding and apples. There's something very magical and special about sitting on water polished volcanic rock, surrounded by a dozen varieties of butterflies, with stone walls enclosing us like a womb and a bright strip of sky streaking overhead.

Back home, we made Gooseberry-Pear Pie with an Almond Coconut Crust and Pear-Peach Cream on top to have after a so fulfilling meal of Nettle Stew with Wild Elk meat, Butternut Squash, Coconut Milk and Ginger, mmmmm.

Both Loba and Wolf drew me beautiful portraits as gifts. The one above is by Wolf, I just love it! I'll post the equally beautiful one by Loba sometime soon.

K, back to catching up after a day of fun! A perfect birthday.

9 comments:

Ananda said...

Happy Birthday my fellow crab! I almost forgot that our Bday's are three days apart. Mine was on the auspicious 7-7-07 - but nothing magical happend lol! Enjoy your new year and may it be full of blessings and wishes granted!
love
ananda

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday lovely lady.

Darcey Blue said...

and ours just a few days apart as well. today was my 27th too, but i spent it driving home from oregon. tomorrow we're making raw chocolate pudding pie!
happy birthday to all of us!!

Angie Goodloe LMT, Herbalist said...

Happy B day! Mine is also on the 29th!

Angie Goodloe LMT, Herbalist said...

I should add I am the elder, I will be 34, 27 was a great year for me, hope your year is full of wonderful memories, passion, herbal wisdom, and sisterhood.

Elizabeth said...

Hi there,

Just wanted to say (well, first of all, happy birthday!) thanks for the tip about young yarrow leaves. Every place I looked said to harvest during bloom, and to include the flowers. I'm very happy to know that my tincture is a good one!

Thanks again :)

Oakmoss Changeling said...

Wow, so many plant-wise cancer (and a cancer-leo cusp) women! I'm so happy to share my birthday time with such exceptional healers!

You're so welcome, Elizabeth... I think I first got my tip from Matt Wood, and it has rung very true to me, now I tincture young leaves and then sometimes add flowers later on to the tincture. Or, sometimes flowering tops, it just depends. But if it's strong tasting and smelling, I think it's probably good medicine.

Anonymous said...

Happy 27th! Wish you all the best.. and still a year to get ready for your Saturn Return.

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) birthday! You've become very knowledgeable in those years and I'm sure the future holds good things.

The Medicine Woman is glad you came...

All writings & posts (c)2007 Kiva Rose
All artwork & photographs (c) 2007 Jesse Wolf Hardin